Metropolis Launcher supports user-defined startup parameters with variables. Variables are always enclosed in percent-signs. It is strongly recommended that any variable containing paths is enclosed in double quotation marks,e.g. "%romfullpath%", else paths with spaces will not be entirely recognized.
The following variables are supported:
Multi Volume Parameters
For some platforms you have to work with multiple volumes (i.e. disk images, cd images etc.) and want to provide them to the emulator for e.g. quick change of volumes.
In order to achieve this, you
- put the variable %multivolume% in the startup parameter (with or without any additional parameters if necessary)
- switch to the Multiple Volumes tab and provide for each Disc/Volume the appropriate Parameter including variables.
Important: In most cases you should provide a space character in front of each parameter section! Else consecutive parameters will be added together without a space between them.
When you start a game, Metropolis Launcher only uses the Discs/Volumes that the game provides as parameters.
Multi Volume Parameters - Examples
The following examples show you how to set up certain emulators for multiple volumes
Multi Volume Parameters for Vice C64 Emulator
Important: This is just an example and it would only support up to 4 diskettes. Some games also don't support more than one disk drive. Use List Files instead in order to use flip lists containing much more diskettes for a single disk drive.
The C64 Emulator of Vice (x64.exe) allows the following command line parameters for disk images (taken from the documentation in html/vice_3.html#SEC22):
Attach `NAME' as a disk image to device 8, 9, 10 or 11.
if you provide -autostart, the image will be mounted in device 8, so we end up with the following set up:
1. Set the startup parameter to %multivolume%
2. Switch to the Multiple Volumes tab
3. Press the Add Button on the Multiple Volumes tab, select "Volume/Disc 01" in the Disc/Volume column and set the parameter to -autostart "%romfullpath%"
4. Press the Add Button on the Multiple Volumes tab, select "Volume/Disc 02" in the Disc/Volume column and set the parameter to -9 "%romfullpath%"
5. Press the Add Button on the Multiple Volumes tab, select "Volume/Disc 03" in the Disc/Volume column and set the parameter to -10 "%romfullpath%"
6. Press the Add Button on the Multiple Volumes tab, select "Volume/Disc 04" in the Disc/Volume column and set the parameter to -11 "%romfullpath%"
Important: don't forget the space in front of each parameter!
After following the steps, your Vice C64 emulator settings should look like this:
Multi Volume Parameters for FS-UAE
FS-UAE needs a kickstart rom location and supports a list of swappable floppy images. The command line arguments are the following:
Provided Kickstart file
Mounted image in drive X
Image Y in swappable image list
For this example we use one virtual floppy drive with the first disk inserted and a list of up to 8 swappable disk images. We will also provide the kickstart rom to the emulator.
1. Set the startup parameter to --kickstart_file="d:\Kickstarts\a500.rom" %multivolume%
2. Open the Multiple Volumes tab and press the Add Button 8 times
Entries for Disk/Volume 01 - 08 will be created
3. Fill in the parameter entries as follows:
Important: Don't forget the space in front of each parameter!
After following the steps, your FS-UAE emulator settings should look like this:
In order to feed multiple roms/cd images/diskette images to an emulator, some emulators support text-based list files as startup parameter. Metropolis Launcher lets you define such lists with the List Generator. Furthermore Metropolis Launcher ships with the following list definitions: